Thursday, January 06, 2005

Triumph Spitfire

The Triumph Spitfire was an exciting car. It was truly a sportscar. It was close to the ground. When you drove it on the expressway, it was so low that it looked like you could drive it under a semi. (NOTE LEGAL WARNING-CHILDREN DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT CONSENT IN WRITING FROM YOUR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS).

HarleyDad's Triumph, which he had during his college years, was a British racing green. It had a black interior and a black rag top. The cars that competed with it were the MG midget. It had two doors and was so low to the ground that you could step over the side to enter the vehicle.

Most of the time I drove it with the top down and used a toneau cover. In the winter I used the rag top-and it was often cold. But, hey, that is the way it is with rag tops.

The Spitfire's hood had latches on the sides and opened from the top instead of from the grill area. See the pictures above.

The Spitfire had a turning radius of 24 feet. It had the tightest turning radius of any car I ever drove.

Parking. No problem. You could park it anywhere.

Horsepower. Not much.

I drove my Spitfire in New Orleans. In the summers I was dating about 5 nights per week, and I am sure that the Spitfire was somewhat instrumental in that. I often drove the Spitfire in the French Quarter and in downtown New Orleans.

It could not be beat. I could park it anywhere. It could not be caught because it was nimble and had a tight turning radius.

The Spitfire was the first sportscar that was really mine. I loved that car! When I see old Triumph Spitfires, I get misty eyed.

They were the best!

HarleyDad

No comments: