Tuesday, January 11, 2005

1986 Toyota MR-2

Well, what could be better than a sports car with Toyota reliability. Behold the Toyota MR-2. Harley Dad has owned at various times 3 MR-2's.

Mr first was an 1986 Toyota MR-2. Was I ever excited about that car. It had a rear engine and did it ever hug the road. Mine was gray. I still remember how the car seemed to surround me and how there was a wall of glass serving as the windshield. It came in automatic and standard shift. I had the automatic. (HarleyDad loves clutches-but I ride the clutch somewhat and wear them out.)

I commented to the salesman that the seating was only enough for two and I was a family man with three children. The salesman only smiled slyly and said Yes, that seating for only two was one of the advantages of the MR-2.

Once again, the pull between between being the sedate father of three and the draw of the sportscar went into a gladiatorial battle. As usual the Sportscar heart won. Paternity and responsibility lay bleeding to death on the sands of the arena.

Somehow, HarleyDad has always been convinced that his deeper destiny in life is to go zooming down highways and backroads at outrageous speeds with the top down and with his hair being blown by the wind. No nurturing, child-raising safe, protective environment for me. Risk, danger, and adventure. Yes, now that is my ticket.

Now all that being said, I still went to Brokerbelle and made sure that it was OK to purchase the MR-2 because risk and adventure is one thing-intense pain, however, is something else.

Brokerbelle being gracious, kind and full of wisdom decided that "boys will be boys" and "boys must have their toys". That is why women rule the world. They know how just to give that little bit of freedom, that keeps their men happy!

So HarleyDad was able to enjoy the car with a moderately clean conscience.

The MR-2 was a fun car, and it later became like a member of the family. I eventually adopted it and soon it spawned other MR-2's.

Above are some pictures of the MR-2.

No comments: