Saturday, January 08, 2005

1959 Chevy Impala Wagon

My family decide to purchase its first stationwagon. It was a 1959 Chevy Impala Wagon. Chevy's in that era all had V-8 engines. It was long and had three seats. The Impala had those outrageous tail fins that boldly said: "This car can fly; it has wings." The back seat was great. It faced toward the back so that you could see where you had been. It was the kind of back seat that only a kid would love and could ride in. Adults would get sick driving backwards.

When you were in the far backseat you were miles away from your parents. You did not know what was going on in the front seat, and they did not know what was going on in the back seat. That was OK both with the kids and with the parents.

The stationwagon was great when the folks went camping. You could let down the middle and back seats and my brother and I could sleep on air mattresses in the car while our parents got eaten alive by mosquitoes as they slept on cots underneath a tarp with their friends.

My brother and I were instrumental in persuading our parents in getting a stationwagon with outrageous colors. It was two toned--Roman Red and white. That red was so red that it looked like we were driving a fire engine, and the Impala was about that long as well. That car screamed: "Look at me!"

As a very young teenager I remember riding in the Impala with a date going to special events like sweetheart banquets. If Pam is out there somewhere in cyberspace, she might remember.

The Impala wagon was a cool car.

My brother and I were never ashamed to be seen in it.

Pictures of an Impala wagon are posted. None, however, are as pretty as our Roman red and white Impala wagon. No stationwagon was ever as much fun.

HarleyDad

No comments: