Monday, January 03, 2005

Mame's Pink Ford T-Bird

HarleyDad is fairly certain he has chased off all women from his blog by cleverly discussing
automobiles .

So as an act of contrition, I present Aunt Mame's Pink T-Bird. My Aunt Mame is now in her 80's; however she was ,and is, an independent woman. She never married and pretty much lived life on her own terms. Aunt Mame was one of the first women to graduate from Big T's Law School, and later on also picked up a Louisiana law degree. I believe that when she graduated she was one of the first women to ever graduate from Big T's law school. Back in those days women in law firms with law degrees could be paralegals. Partnerships were not open to women in those days. So Aunt Mame joined Big E. Oil Company and became a "landman."

Aunt Mame was good at golf and good at tennis. One day she went to see the movie Aunt Mame starring Rosaline Russell, and strongly identified with that character.

Like HarleyDad, Aunt Mame had a sports car in her heart. I still remember it the first time that I saw it. It was outrageously pink. You noticed this baby when it went down the road. These were in the days before the Mary Kay Cadillacs. But like them the pink T-Bird made a statement. It said: "I am a woman, and I am proud of it. I do what I like."

In those days, the T-Bird was a small car. It later would morph into a larger car.

So here is to Mame and all the other women who expressed themselves and made a statement through the thoroughly outrageous, beautiful pink T-Bird.

No comments: