Sunday, December 19, 2004

Munich Speed Trap

I was driving someone to the Munich Airport. As I left the airport premises I had my picture taken by one of those little cameras that the Germans use that shows you how fast you are going. Immediately I knew that I was had. Worse still, instead of sending you the tickets by mail, they pulled you over immediately. The team working the airport consisted of about 10 policemen, several police cars and a couple of green and white vans. The vans did not look like welcome wagons or even willkommen wagons, to me.

The German police must have been trained by the same people who trained the Quebec police. Despite the fact that I spoke English, they went through the entire drill in German. Did I know how fast I was driving (sure, I did, they had a picture of me showing how fast I was driving), would I please present my license, etc,, etc. and etc. Not one word or English (later after my ticket I heard them talking in English).

At any rate, the Germans developed the Volkswagon and have plants for the super-fast BMW's and the Mercedes vehicles that go shooting down the autobahn.

How far have you fallen, O Germany, that you will be issuing speeding tickets in the land of the BMW and the autobahn.

Next, the Munich police will be issuing tickets when you drink beer.

No comments: