Saturday, July 09, 2005

She Broke Out in Sign

Sandra came to the conference from California with her husband. He leads music and plays the guitar and is very gifted. But it was Sandra who amazed me.

During the praise and worship she sat on the front row on the corner of the left side. And as the praise and worship grew more intense, more fervent she began to do something with her hands. She began to convey the word and the music by something that appeared to be sign, not just regular sign but the most beautiful sign language I had ever seen.

Now my son Sparkey married the Beautiful Bridgette who is hearing impaired and Bridgette and Sparkey speak in sign. So I think I know sign when I see it. Well what ever Sandra did as she entered into worship and song appeared to be beautiful sign language.

I ran into Sandra a couple of days later and introduced myself. After determining that she could hear me, I asked her where she had learned the beautiful sign language. She seemed surprised and said that she did not know any sign language. I figured I had spoken to the wrong person and began to walk off. As I did Sandra called me back and asked if I was referring to what she had been doing with her hands. I responded, "Yes." Sandra then recounted this story. When she had first come to the conference seven years ago she began to sing and praise God but found herself unable to express the fullness of her praise and then began to use her hands as a method of praising God.

My conclusion was that it was one of the most beautiful and eloquent ways of expressing worship to God that I had ever seen.

My Pentecostal friends talk about breaking out in tongues to praise God. I guess in this instance Sandra broke out into sign in praising God.

This conference was going to be interesting. I had already seen something that I never seen before and had seen God expressing Himself and His nature to Sandra and the use of her hands.

Now that was a gift I did not know was in the Bible. It was not done for show. But like the flower, it blumed in the wilderness.

No comments: