Saturday, July 09, 2005

A child would lead them.

A Child Would Lead Them

It was undignified. As praise and worship began an older man, obviously retired, would walk up and down the aisles with a small banner on a stick. You would think that he would know better. If he had a wife, shouldn’t she have kept him out of the aisle.

But somehow, it was all right. In fact not only was it all right but somehow God seemed to be behind it. Perhaps He was reminding us all that he gives out ministries and if He gives a retired guy a ministry of encouraging people to worship by using a banner and walking up and down the aisles, then perhaps the rest of us should say ”Praise the Lord” and stay out of God’s business.

I could not help but remember the Old Testament prophecies that the Old People that loved God would not dry up but the Spirit would keep them young and green.

Next I remembered that if we were to ever enter to into the Kingdom of God that we were to become as young children. And so an old guy with the heart of a child and with that simple faith laid aside his pride and dignity and became a fool for Christ. This fool of Christ laid his pride aside and had a great time leading the people of God into worship.

And so I learned from him. I leaned some humility, how to have a good time and found that even fools could have apprentices and students.

And as he came down the aisle tonight he stopped and I encouraged him and told him what a great job he was doing.

And then as inspired (and I believe he truly was) he took his streamer on a stick and begin to twirl it over the head of Brokerbelle and me and then said with a wink: “Remember, His banner over you is love.”

He then moved on.

Now I guess I have heard many sermons and more than a few words that purport to be from God. But this fool for Christ said more in six words than anyone could ever say in a sermon.

And if that is not some kind of crazy, wonderful ministry, I don’t know what is.

I was SERIOUSLY impressed!





No comments: