Tuesday, October 26, 2004

TIMING

Timing is everything.

Ever have one of those days in your life when your timing was off. Got up late and the day moved on while you slept. Then you spent the rest of the day trying to catch up. Late to your appointments, missed the train, sold low when you had bought high, whiffed your golf swing and finally got your bid in after the auction closed.

During the first half of my life, it seemed that my timing was all wrong. My prayer for the second part of my life is that God will grant me to have great timing. To get into the ground floor of life, instead of being a "johnny come lately." Solomon said that there was a season to life and a time for all things.

There is a time to laugh and a time to cry. This blog, I believe, is born in its proper season and in it I expect to share both my laughter and my tears. It is my prayer to be there on time for the people that need me and to have a good word for those who need it. To say the right thing at the right time, and more importantly, to do the right thing. To move when God is ready-not before, not after.

It is a time to be rich in the right things. A time for love and for friendships.

Here in the wilderness, there is a timing in the seasons. We have four of them. Now is the time of fall, next a time of winter. Each serves its own purpose, each is beautiful in its own way.

There is a season for the prodigal to come home again. Now is that season. Our generation has been prodigal from its values, and now it is time to come home again to the core values of love, loyalty and friendship. Preachers might call this repentance, I call it a return home.

I love having the opportunity to choose my timing. When I was young for about three years I had to ride my motorcycle in rain since it was the only transportation that a poor student had. Today, I can choose to ride when I like. I choose to ride when the skies are sunny. Yep, it is true that I am a "fair weather rider." But now I know the value of timing. During that first half hour of rain when the roads are slick, I leave the Harley in the garage and go have a cup of coffee. Later, when it is safer I ride.

And speaking of timing and riding. Now it is time to ride.

HarleyDad signing off! Ride wise and live.

No comments: