Sunday, October 24, 2004

Harley Clothes



Before I had a Harley, I thought Harley was about motorcycles.

How wrong I was. When I went in to view this art on wheels and to hear that sonorous Harley sound, I found out that Harleys were really about the clothes.

Where else can you wear tight black leather and do it for purposes of safety.

Where else can a guy who was born white, get to wear a dew rag.

Blue jeans are the clothes of choice, and if they are faded and have a hole or two, so much the better.

Leather vests. Wonderful Harley shoes. "These shoes are made for walkin' (stomping) and they threaten to stomp all over you." But hey, who wants to ride a harley wearing moccasins.

$400 leather jackets that speak of coolness, harkening back to James Dean, Rebel Without a Cause, Steve McQueen jumping the fence on his motorcycle in The Great Escape and even Marlon Brando in The Wild One.

Harley helmets, cool shades, patches that are more outrageous than those used in the military. Helmets that are in Black with arcane symbols, proclaiming that you are a biker to be feared. You are in charge (at least of the bike.)

Skulls, flames and other daring symbols, that scream I am not really a doctor, lawyer or professional, I am really an individual. Maybe even an outlaw on the inside trying to get to the outside.

It is about wearing denims with sewn-on patches.

Leather gloves, you get to wear them even in the summer.

Leather chaps. Hey, what am I? A motorcycle rider or a cowboy. Who cares, what is the difference. I am the Lone Ranger on a motorcycle, I am the Range Rider on an electronic horse. Get ready for adventure.

Yep, the Harley is about clothes. It is also about dreams and visions. It is about freedom.

And that is just the men's clothes.

Women love Harleys. Yeah, I thought it was because of the rugged males-nope, it is about the clothes. Always was, always will be. How little I knew.

Some of us even like the riding!

HarleyDad is learning about Harleys-It is about riding in the right rags!!!

No comments: