Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Dinner at Antoine's

It was my first BIG date. The City was New Orleans. The Year-- so long ago that I do not want to think about it.

But where to take her? How about Antoine's one of the finest restaurants, if not the oldest and best restaurant in New Orleans. Antoine's was founded in 1840 by Antoine Alciatore on St. Louis street.

So I went down and made the arrangements. I spoke with the Maitre' D and tipped him well so that I would be greeted by name and given the best table. I took a copy of the menu. The problem was that it was in French.

Back in the dark ages only French menus were used and there were NO English translations. But HarleyBoy had a plan. My next door neighbor was a very nice individual who spoke with a heavy Cajun accent. So heavy that you could almost not understand his English.

So my next door neighbor, Thibodeaux, was my ticket to romantic success through fine dining. I bring my Antoine's menu to Thibodeaux who says in his thick Cajun French accent: "The menu is in French." Of course it is , I reply, I need you to translate it. Thibodeaux replies: "Ernie, I don't read French." But you speak with a French accent, I reply. Thibodeaux says: "Ernie, I just speak this way, I don't know any French." Romance derailed.

Finally I get the menu translated, went out and we had a wonderful time.

Antoine's was my introduction to fine French cuisine and I have been an affecianado for years .

New Orleans is known as the City of Fine Eating with wonderful French-Cajun cuisine. It has many fine restaurants including Arnaud's, Emeril's, Commander's Palace, Gallatoire's and many more.

They are all great. But I will always remember my first Dinner at Antoine's.

No comments: