Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Enemies

We are often surrounded by a cloud of enemies. These enemies are the "nay-sayers" in our lives. They are those who are the unbelievers. They believe neither in the power of God to help us or in our power to help ourselves. They are the nay-sayers.

There is an old saying that I heard as a young boy. It was "Can't never could." As I progress through life, it seems that I have often had to swim upstream against the current instead of drift toward my goals and the goals that I know to be right not only in my heart but from the very word of God found in Scripture.

Around me has often been unbelief that I found in teachers, school-mates, friends and co-workers. "You will never be able to get an A in that course. You will never get into that school. You will never be able to get that job. You will never be able to satisfy that boss. You will never be able to solve that problem."

Where I work challenges are often described as opportunities. What a healthy way of looking at things.

I also like the saying that if life gives you lemons, then make lemonade.

My prayer is that God will give me a positive attitude. A "can do attitude". A never stay down attitude. The righteous man is knocked down seven times, but gets up eight times.

I very much love the Scripture of Philippians 4:13 that says: "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Many times I have been unable to accomplish my goals; but I get right up and try again because I believe that I have help in Jesus Christ.

The Bible character Caleb is one of my favorites. He was one of the two spies that Moses sent into the Promised Land that came back with a good report and said that with God's help the Israelites could take the Promised Land. The other 10 said that they could not and never lived to see the Promised Land.

As an Old Man, 40 years later, Caleb asked Joshua for the toughest land to take- the land that was inhabited by giants. Caleb had a warrior's heart. He also had a heart of faith in God and a can do attitude.

So if you will have a "can do" attitude and believe that God will help you, you can accomplish big things.

Brokerbelle's dad was a Seabee in the Second World War. He was wounded on the South Pacific in areas of the heaviest Japanese fighting, building things that were impossible to build in impossible conditions. It is tough to build landing strips in jungles with enemy soldiers sniping at you everyday. What is the motto of the Seabees? Yes, you guessed it. It is : "Can do."

So what is the inheritance of my children? It is faith. It is the spirit of the warrior. It is as my daughter says, "Bushido." It is a fighting "can do", "never give up" spirit. It is the spirit of Caleb. It is the spirit of God that says that "all things are possible." It is the best inheritance.

No comments: