Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas

At work the conversation turned to the holidays. Should we say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" so as not to be offensive to the many people of so many faiths here in Ozarklandia.

In fact, I now separate my Christmas/Holiday cards into two groups. There are those that say Jesus or Manger or Mary or Silentnight (these that go into my "best pile"). Next, there are those that still use the word "Christmas" (this is my less than best pile but better than my last pile). Finally there is the last pile made up of Holiday Cards that have snowmen, cardinals, trees with twinkling lights and skyscrapers (this is my thanks for thinking of me without religious sentiment pile). But I am not an ungrateful person in this season of the year (be it Christmas, Holiday, Winter or Feast of Lights) I am even happy to receive Buddha, Krishna or Islamic cards especially if a small monetary gift is enclosed which makes them even more special. Send them on, I am an equal opportunity card and gift receiver so long as only good wishes (not explosives) are enclosed.

Now "Merry Christmas " will always be fine with me. Last Christmas season I was in China. On the windows in English were the words "Merry Christmas." Lots of Santas but no manger scenes.

I suspect we are all trying to out do the Chinese. Perhaps become more secular than they. Although they have a good head start we in the U.S. are rapidly advancing.

If you don't want to celebrate Christmas, that's fine with me too. After all we stole the pagan Saturnalia first and it is ours to do with as we please.

If you don't like it get your own holiday. Perhaps "Merry Mammon Day"or "Golden Credit Card Day!" After all commerce is what it is all about. Gifts of gold, frankensen, and myrrh.

Apparently it is not enough that the holy days have been transformed into the holly days or the holidays.

"Spending is now "the reason for the season" and the old Christmas has metamorphisized into an modern-day orgy of shopping and eating. It makes you wonder how for 1900 years the poor wretches had to celebrate Christmas with out Crosby's White Christmas, the Grinch and Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I imagine these are all still in the Trademark stable.

Somewhere in all the tinsel or our economic New Jerusalem is that small, humble manger with a few rag tag shepherds, a teenage mother, an older father figure and the baby Jesus--hidden away behind all the Christmas lights and shopping malls.

But modern-day Herods are still on the watch, hoping to eradicate any traces of baby Jesus's. The creche is a potent threat to our society and is almost as dangerous as the cross.

This is Harley Dad speaking, and for me it is Christmas or nothing. I will put my wallet back in my pocket and watch the U.S. economy go to pot.

Merry Christmas! or Bah Humbug!, if you prefer.

No comments: