Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is at its core a religious holiday. To many of us, it is a Christian holiday. To whom do we give thanks. To God. We are thankful for his supply and his care throughout the year.

He who supplies sunshine, rain and nutrients to the flowers of the earth, He who supplies food for the raven, and gives food to the young lions also supplies our very needs.

Thanksgiving proclaims that we are thankful for the many blessings that we receive. Many of the blessings are not earned, but they come to us from the Grace of God. I did not earn the sunrise and have done nothing to merit the sunset. The rain and sunshine fall on me regardless of how I act or whether I am good or bad.

The blood sacrifice of Jesus falls on me just as Moses consecrated the people with blood. It is not my blood, but sacrificial blood that comes by means of grace, not paid for by me.

My choice is to ignore the sacrifice and blessings or to say thank you. I chose to say :"Thank you God for your sacrifice for me and for the many blessings you give to us daily. "

This is Thanksgiving. So is extending this grace and love to others.

HarleyDad

No comments: