Saturday, December 30, 2006

X Mas

As a Christian, I prefer to think of Christmas rather than X Mas. I am not an xian. The holiday is still a Christian holiday to a few of us. I neither make fun of Ramedan or the Feast of Lights. I have made no attempts to appropriate holidays of other faiths for commercial gain or deck them out with snow, animals with red noses, green grinches or I am dreaming of a "You Pick a Color" Christmas or elves in various sizes.

So all I am asking is that Christmas be returned to the Christians. And while I am at it, you can take the holiday back and just let those of us who believe in Jesus Christ and the nativity celebrate it quietly.

As for December 25, you can give it back to the Romans as their Saturnalia and the Christmas tree can be returned to the Druids or to Oden or whoever had it first.

I recently got my first X Mas Card. Truly X must mark the spot. Friends of mine from one of our international law firms sent it. They evidently had picked up the sense of what Christmas means in the U.S. However they got the sign wrong -instead of an X, it evidently should have been this:
$ Posted by Picasa

No comments: