Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Road King Custom in Switzerland

In Switzerland, I changed from my Softtail Deluxe to the Road King Custom.

There is no doubt that the Road King is king of the road, the open road that is. It does fine for cruising through the wide open spaces of Kansas or Texas. However it should come as no surprise to anyone that it is not a mountain bike known for cornering.

In fact my friend Peter from Switzerland was surprised that I was going to see Switzerland on a Harley-Davidson due to the fact that it was such a large bike. Peter was right.

In fact even Harley-Davidson says in some of their publications that if you want a bike that is king of cornering, you should investigate some of the Buells.

My Road King was the largest bike on the mountains. Most of the others were Kawasaki's or Dicatti's. The smaller, more nimble mountain bikes are better for a number of reasons. First they are smaller and lighter. If they go over (and mine did not) they are easier to pick up. And they take the corners better and faster. Believe me, there are a number of corners in the Swiss mountains.

Nonetheless, I had a great time in Switzerland on my Harley-Davidson Road King. It was bright yellow and never got lost in the crowd.

Above are some pictures of the Harley. In only one, will you see me. I road alone. When the pictures were being taken of the Harley, I was generally inside sampling one of the Swiss beers.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

HarleyDad

No comments: